Monday 30 April 2007

Nan's Banana & Honey Tea Bread

The Little Foodies and I went to see Great Nanny yesterday as she's just come out of hospital. She taught me how to cook this and it's delicious! She's 87 now and definitely from the generation where you boil your vegetables until they fall apart. I'd leave her veggies anyday, I couldn't possibly say the same about her baking! Unfortunately she wont be having any as she can only eat very soft food now. I've requested that I be taken outside and shot should it ever happen to me. Nan has requested not to be taken outside and shot as she still quite likes us all. I can't imagine liking anybody if I couldn't eat properly.

We made a heart shape because we love Nan and some small ones for the LittleFoodies. Tall to have in his packed lunch and Small so that he has something other than carrots and cucumber to pinch. The photo shows 5 small ones as we ate a few of the others while they were still warm...

Banana & Honey Tea Bread
5 medium sized very ripe bananas
225g (8oz) self raising flour
125g (4oz) softened butter
125g (4oz) caster sugar
2 medium size organic free range eggs
grated rind of one lemon or one lime (either works well, we used lime this time)
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
6 tablespoons runny honey
pinch of salt

Prepare a 1.7 litre (3pint) loaf tin or like us use silicone bakeware.
Turn oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4
In a bowl mash the peeled bananas with a fork or potato masher.
In a large bowl mix the flour, salt and nutmeg together and then rub in the fat until like fine breadcrumbs (Little (5) is particularly good at this. Small tends to stick it all together - I think you need to be atleast 4 years old to do this bit).
Stir in the sugar, honey, lemon or lime rind and the eggs. Beat well. It will look lumpy and gloopy, this is fine.
Turn the mixture into a prepared loaf tin or whatever bakeware you're using.
Bake for approx 1 hour 15 minutes. You may need to cover with greaseproof paper to stop it burning part way through. If you do small ones like we did they only need to cook for 20-30 minutes.

9 comments:

Truffle said...

Your lucky boys having a great Nan with such wonderful recipes. Beautiful photo too!

Roz said...

ummmmmmm Banana and Honey tea bread, yummy. Each time I visit your blog I'm loving it even more!

Will definitely be sending you some of the Nigerian recipes that have gone down well whenever we have friends round to eat and be merry with us :-)

(Good tip about avoiding spam mail)

Anonymous said...

That looks yummy...I love bananas! :)

Culinary Cowgirl said...

Great looking recipe...I am sure my little one will love it...especially since I have some ripe bananas to use up - perfect timing!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Thank you Truffle, Roz & Joey.
Culinary Cowgirl I hope you get a moment to make it as it's definitely worth it. Just had another piece now - yum... Must hide the scales!

Brilynn said...

Thanks for stopping by my site. This banana bread sounds delicious, I have just the right honey that I'd use in it!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you and your boys still have a Great Nan to spend time with. that recipe looks delicious. I might bring it to work today eo bake for the Mr. as I have some bananas up at the big house that need using up!

Kelly-Jane said...

I thought the same - wonderful that you have a Great Nan, even if soft food is on the menu!

Your cakes look lovely :)

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Thank you for your comments Brilynn, Marie and Kelly Jane. Great Nan is the glue that holds us all together and being from the North East originally she has a strong sense of family which she's passed on to all of us, along with some great baking recipes. Thanks again. Amanda

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs