Monday 2 July 2007

Little Foodies America - Southern Fried Chicken & Cherry Pie

Southern Fried Chicken (our version).
3 eggs, 60ml water, 1/3 bottle of Nando's peri-peri BBQ sauce, 2 cups self raising flour, a good few grinds of black pepper, 4 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons black pepper, 2 teaspoons garlic granules, 4 chicken drumsticks, 4 chicken thighs.

First mix the garlic granules, black pepper and salt.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and water and mix in the bbq sauce.
In a separate bowl mix the flour and a few grinds of black pepper.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C to finish cooking the chicken.
We used the large Le Creuset pan and filled it one third full of sunflower oil. We tested it was hot enough by dropping a piece of rocket in which sizzled.
Sprinkle a little of the garlic granules, pepper and salt mix over the chicken pieces (you wont use it all so keep any that you don't use for seasoning something else). Dip the chicken in the egg mix and then coat well with the flour. Place in the hot oil, turning after a couple of minutes. After 5 minutes frying place in an ovenproof bowl and finish cooking in the oven for about 25 minutes. Test the chicken is cooked through before serving.

We saw a few recipes for this which called for hot red pepper sauce and various versions of the pepper and salt seasoning mix. We thought the hot sauce might be too hot for the boys so decided to use bbq sauce instead. It worked well. We served with fine green beans and boiled new potatoes picked fresh from the garden - YIPPPEEEE! Even better my husband cooked it all!

Cheat's Cherry Pie
1 packet of ready rolled puff pastry.
1 tin of Waitrose red cherry fruit filling.
1 jar of Ambrosia custard
Pre-heat oven to 180C
We used a medium size pyrex flan dish. Rolled the pastry over the dish and gently push around the sides. Sliced off any excess around the top of sides. Poured the tin of red cherry fruit filling over the pastry. We cut out little stars from the leftover pastry and placed on top of the fruit filling. Baked in the oven for approx 20-25 minutes, until the pastry was cooked. Served with Ambrosia custard....

Totally cheating, not as tasty as fresh cherries or homemade pastry but we had ready made pastry that needed using up and the tin of cherry filling in the cupboard so it had to be done.

19 comments:

Pat said...

Ohhhhhhh Amanda that looks really yummy!!!!! Hmmmmmm I may have to have some fried chicken later for supper now, as you have made me hungry. That pie looks really yummy too!!!!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Thanks Pat! It was good! Not the most healthy or slimming meal but tasty and our first potatoes from the garden just made it.

Kelly-Jane said...

I agree yummaroo! I love how you have done the pie, stars and hearts are so beautiful for decorations :)

KJxx

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Great pie decorations Amanda and great bang for the 4th.
Please save me some fried chicken, that is so good.

Cottage Smallholder said...

I love those little stars! Very pretty and inviting.

Everyone cheats, I never make pastry but always buy my own. I have progressed from ready rolled to roll your own...

The southern fried chicken sounds yummy. Danny recently confessed that if I go to bed early he sometimes drives into town to pig out on Kentucky Fried Chicken. Ever since then I have exhausted myself staying up later than him. If I made the southern fried chicken it might salve the need for Colonel and Mrs Saunder's offerings.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Amanda, I just love, love, love the pie! The stars are adorable and the filling is yummy!

Nora B. said...

Amanda, i loooove southern fried chicken. That looks like a wonderful meal. And you own home grown potatoes!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Kelly-Jane, thank you. I love hearts and stars too. I have various hearts and stars hanging up around the house.

Tanna, thank you. So sorry it's all gone but I'd make you some more!

Cottage Smallholder, thank you. That's so funny about Danny. I haven't had a KFC in years but I used to love it. It's the skin. I think we might play with this recipe. The concept was pretty easy so changing the flavours would be fun. I think garlic, ginger, lemon & honey would work.

Patricia, thank you, it was so easy as you saw.

Nora, thank you. It was so cool having our own potatoes. We were all smiling about that!

Thank you for your comments.
Amanda x

Gourmet Traveller said...

This sounds really good. I'll definitely try it soon. What about doing a Little Foodies Spain?

Cynthia said...

You know you could have invited me over :)

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Gourmet Traveller, Thanks for stopping by. We're off to France and Spain soon so thought we'd do it then.

Hi Cynthia, You're welcome anytime, you don't have to be asked.

Thank you
Amanda x

Culinary Cowgirl said...

Oh, one of my true favorites - homemade fried chicken! My mom made the best fried chicken growing up...and would use the drippings/crumbs to make a creamy chicken gravy to put on mashed potatoes. Such tasty memories!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Culinary Cowgirl, That sounds delicious. I will make it again and seek out a recipe for the creamy sauce as a few people have mentioned it to me. With mashed potato I expect it would be yummy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda, You definitely had
my mouth watering with this one.
It reminded me of London and
a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken, but oh to make it yourself, think I'll try this one for M.
KEEP BLOGGING, I ENJOY MY DAILY HIT. Mamxxxxx

Aimée said...

Well, looks like you nailed 'America', not that anyone ever doubted you would! It looks delicious. Well done!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Mum, thanks, it was really good and it would be even easier in a deep fat fryer (which we will not be buying!!). I think Malcolm would love it.

Hi Aimee, thank you very much.

Amanda x

Thistlemoon said...

That is the cutest cherry pie! I absolutely LOVE the stars!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Oh I have missed out on so much in my absence. America huh? The cherry pie and the chicken do look scrumptious and it's certainly something Soeren will enjoy. I've been noticing that your boys have a similar taste to Soeren too. Now we just need to get the three together. That would be soo neat!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Jenn, thank you very much!

Hi Meeta, That would be very cool indeed!

Amanda x

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs