Thursday 10 May 2007

Little Foodies Library Expansion & Rustic Baked Eggs

I happened on the books for cooks category at thefoodielist.co.uk via SpittoonExtra and saw a good review for GreenMetropolis.com (I expect my husband wishes I hadn't. Burnt hole in credit card and all that...) It's an on-line second hand book shop, where you can buy/sell books). If you're in the browsing mood then I'd urge you to take a look.

It took me nearly 2 hours to trawl through the list of books available in the food,drink,cooking category, as they're in no particular order. However all books are £3.75 each plus variable p&p, though for most softbacks it's included (They come from various sources so there's no discount for bulk purchasing of hardbacks).
I came across books I'd never heard of, which was fun... I also ordered a book which I've been toying with for ages. Cooking Like Mummyji (always wanted other books more), it's been out for so long it's now available in paperback. So glad I didn't get it when it first came out, as getting it for £3.75 is just a joy! As of yesterday I've been receiving little packages through the post and I'm loving it.. Todays arrival: The MAN WHO ATE EVERYTHING by Jeffrey Steingarten... I shall start reading it tonight instead of staying up half the night surfing...

For dinner - I'll be making
Huevos a la Flamenca Rustic Style Baked Eggs - Serves 4
Tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1 clove garlic (finely diced or crushed)
100g ham (diced) I quite like to use cooked lardons for this
100g chorizo (sliced or diced)
1 small tin of roasted red pepper (taken out of tin and diced)
100g peas (frozen or fresh)
2 tins of chopped tomatoes (if it's very liquidy, then drain a little of the juice off)
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
8 eggs
12 asparagus spears (if it's the season and you're feeling rich - optional)
4 artichoke hearts (fresh, jar or tinned - optional)

It will be the quick fuss free tinned tomatoes option this evening. If you're in the mood you can go the slow route and make the tomato sauce from scratch... Or you could go the even slower route and grow the tomatoes yourself first.. I make this in two medium size Spanish terracotta bowls. You can make it in individual ones or one big one (requires extra cooking time).

Turn oven to 180C, 350F or Gas Mark 4
First saute the onions and garlic in olive oil on a low heat for about 10 minutes. Add the chorizo and ham and cook for a further 3-4 mins. Add the tinned tomatoes and diced roasted red pepper, cook for 2 mins just to warm it through.
Sprinkle peas on the bottom of the pot/bowl you'll be baking in.
Add the tomato mix on top.
Tip: To add the eggs I find it easier to break the eggs into a ramekin or cup (one at a time) before adding.
With a spoon, carefully make a hole in the tomato sauce, then pour in the egg. Dot the eggs around the pot/bowls so that there is space between them.
If you're using artichokes cut them in half and arrange in between the eggs.
If using asparagus arrange so they are not going over top of eggs (I often use tinned, chopped)
Sprinkle with the paprika and bake in the oven for approx 15 minutes. Check the egg whites are cooked by testing with a cocktail stick or something. If the white isn't cooked, cook for a further few mins and test again.

We serve it with fresh crusty bread and a green salad sometimes. You could make this totally vegetarian by leaving the meat out and adding other veg. I love it with broad beans. I've also done it using left over lamb and that was pretty good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those eggs sound delicious. Will there be a picture to look at after you have made them???? (Now that I 'm on this big diet I am living vicariously through the food everyone else cooks and eats) Oh, I am cooking plenty of my own, I'm just not eating it...Todd is...sigh...

Kelly-Jane said...

I have both the books you have bought, Mummiji is great! The way it's set out is really pretty too. Jeffery is worth a read too :)

Your eggs sound really full of flavour and good :)

KJxx

PS Amanda, I hope you don't mind me adding this on as I'm having issues with AOL! - Marie, I tried to post on your site but it just wouldn't let me - but wanted to say it's great!

Freya said...

I love Huevos Rancheros and this is a tasty sounding twist on it - and simple too! I also love the Green Metropolis company!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Marie,They're in the oven as I type - will be posting pics later plus the real quick no **** way I actually ended up doing it. I was feeling lazy!
Hi Kelly-Jane, Mummy-ji was waiting outside so that arrived today too. Looks great and of course I don't mind.
Hi Freya. We love Huevos Rancheros too, I nearly did that but thought I'd do this... Green Metropolis is bad for the credit card!!!
Thanks for your comments, Amanda x

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs