Tuesday 22 May 2007

Seasonal Food - In the bag, the month of May

This is the Little Foodies entry for the new monthly seasonal food blogging event.. In the bag - for the month of May.

I have to say it hasn't been an easy one with Little declaring he's gone off asparagus and not finding it easy to get hold of sea trout. However our meal this evening included all three ingredients and was devoured by all. There is no way I was going to be beaten by Little saying he didn't like asparagus anymore. He ate it in the way I disguised it and then I told him what he'd eaten, right after he declared it was the best sauce he'd ever had... Yes, yes, yes!

Also Small embarrassed me while shopping today. As I picked up the Spring Onions, I said "Salad Onions". He shouted "Spring Onions". I said "Yes I know but people sometimes now call them Salad Onions because they're available all year". This is lost on him, but I told him anyway. He then grabbed the Spring Onions and shouted again and again, "SPRING ONIONS, SPRING ONIONS". "Would you like some olives from the deli counter my sweet, quiet child?" This always works and thankfully it did today... This also just goes to prove the point of having events like this as they were called spring onions for a reason!! Good point well made Small, just in future don't feel like you have to make the point so loudly or when you're with me.

In the bag is jointly organised by Julia at A Slice of Cherry Pie, (who is also hosting this month's event), Cherry at Cherry's English Kitchen and Scott at Real Epicurean and they will be taking it in turns to host. It's a great idea as it keeps it in mind that we should be eating seasonally.

Our meal...
Baked Sea Trout with Creamy Asparagus Sauce
served with Bashed Potatoes and Spring Onions

The Sea Trout we baked, pure and simple, no salt, no pepper, just left natural.

Bashed Potatoes with Spring Onions
Clean and cut up some new potatoes, boil them for 15 minutes or until soft.
In the meantime clean and cut up some spring onions and start to fry them in a little oil.
When the potatoes are ready, drain them and bash them with a rolling pin or something, then add them to the pan with the frying spring onions. Continue to cook until the potatoes start to get some colour.

The Creamy Asaparagus Sauce
One bunch of asparagus cleaned and blanched for 5 minutes with one peeled clove of garlic.
Take half of the asparagus and cut into pieces, add to a blender with the garlic and a little cream and blitz. Pour and scrape into a clean pan and then add the rest of a pot of cream. Cook on low heat while everything else is coming together.

When it's all ready, plate and serve.

9 comments:

Chris said...

What a great meal! Congrats on doing this event - I haven't thought too much about it b/c of the difficulty I forsaw it giving me. You're dish is inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Great entry. I so should have come on board with this challenge!!!!! You have done it well! I'm impressed as always!

Truffle said...

This sounds truly delicious and looks so very elegant!

Kelly-Jane said...

That's a great entry for the Spring event, looks really good. I did see the post about it, but I have never seen sea trout, let alone eaten it!

KJxx

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Thanks Chris, We've been struggling to get the sea trout in the UK too.

Hi Marie,Thank you, you're not too late.

Thanks Truffle!

Hi KJ, Same here but I asked Julia and she said that they had some in Sainsbury's. It doesn't say 'sea' trout on the label but if you ask they say it's definitely sea trout. Who knows.

Amanda

Patricia Scarpin said...

Amanda, the dish is so beautifully presented. We really "start eating" with our eyes. That's the perfect meal - I'd clean my plate and ask for seconds! :)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

This is a wonderful meal proving that simple is spectacular!
I always enjoy the way young children have with words! They keep the world so fresh!

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

Looks delicious to me, truly!

I had the same difficulties obtaining trout this time around. I did cook up some lemon sole but felt it was too much of a deviation to publish - still, I made use of the asparagus and spring onions!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Patricia, thank you. You're right. See food and eat it!! :) Now I understand..

Hi Tanna, Thank you for stopping by! It was simple and tasty too.

Thank you Scott, It's a good event. Well done to the three of you for organising it.

Amanda

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs