Monday 7 January 2008

Star Wars Food

Not that long ago in a galaxy quite near, there has been some serious eating going on.


Naboo Nuggets (to serve 2 small Storm Troopers)4 chicken thighs (organic and free range if possible)
Handful of Cheerios (the breakfast cereal)
Handful of Plain Flour
Freshly Ground Black Pepper to season
1 Egg, lightly beaten in a small bowl
Tablespoon of Oil

Cut the thighs into pieces, about 2cm chunks
In a freezer bag add the flour and cheerios, seal the bag, cover with a tea towel and then bash with a rolling pin until the Cheerios are smashed to fine breadcrumb size.
Dip the chicken pieces in the egg and then add to the bag of flour/cheerio mix.
Jiggle it around to coat the chicken
Heat the oil in a frying pan and then add the coated chicken pieces. Fry gently, turning occasionally for about 10 minutes until golden and cooked through.


Galactic Ginger Jam
otherwise known as...
Cheat's Orange & Ginger Marmalade.
1 Tin of Hartley's Ma Made thin cut Seville Oranges
1 x 350g Jar of Stem Ginger in Syrup (I used Waitrose Chinese Stem Ginger in Syrup)
3/4 pint of water
4lbs /1.8kg Sugar

You basically follow the instructions on the side of the can but you add a jar of stem ginger too, to make it orange and ginger.
Empty contents of tin into a large heavy based saucepan. Add 3/4 pint water and jar or stem ginger. Stir in all of the sugar and heat until boiling, stirring continuously. Then reduce heat but maintain a gentle boil for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a knob of butter half way through to disperse the foam. Test for setting - remove from heat, put 1/2 teaspoon of marmalade onto a cold saucer, put in a cool place. After 2 minutes draw your finger over the surface if it wrinkles, it's ready. If not boil again for a few minutes and test again. When it's ready, let it stand for a little while before pouring into warmed sterilised jars.

This makes a lot of marmalade/jam and is so much easier for the lazy bird with a bad back who could not even give head space to preparing the oranges to make from scratch. It half killed me just stirring the stuff - oh woe is me!

We've also made Chewie's Chocolate and Chestnut Cakes, these were a bit of an experiment using up some tinned chestnut puree I had. They worked, I'd go as far as to say they tasted delicious but possibly need a little tweaking. Also Chewbacca's Chicken and Cous Cous, Hubby made this. Will post recipes and pics tomorrow, along with some more Star Wars Food.

15 comments:

FH said...

Haha!! I bet my hubby loves these Star War goodies!!

slush said...

We know all too well the Star Wars obsession. We have the light sabers, lego star wars games, countless action figures and star wars transformers. He took a break with it for Xmas. Thankfully. Im tired of answering to Princess Leia during playtime.

Great star wars meal!

Nora B. said...

Naboo Nuggets looks so good! Those are lucky little storm troopers. Maybe I can convince my nephew to try new foods by trying such themes.

Marie Rayner said...

Oh gosh this is one older and rather rotund storm trooper that will love trying out those goodies as well! Great photos Amanda! Tasty recipes too!

Pat said...

Oh I just love your recent posts!!! I am such a big Star Wars fan. I bet the boys are really enjoying this lot of recipes!!! Your Naboo Nuggets look soooooo yummy.

David Hall said...

Is that Naboo from Mighty Boosh? I like it! Great idea with the cheerios. I'm going to d these, might throw in a bit of spice.

How are you, any better?

Cheers
David

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

How my boys would have loved this one! You are a marvelous creative mum.

Maggie said...

Only Storm Troopers would have the imagination to use Cheerios when they make chicken nuggets!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Asha, I realise now ofcourse, I've gone completely mad!

Hi Slush, I always ask to be Yoda... short, fat and green, much more fun than tall, slim and beautiful. :)

Hi Nora, they were really tasty. Hubby was surprised as he thought they were going to be sweet. Good luck with your nephew, he doesn't sound too bad, not like some children I know.

Hi Marie, you do make me laugh!

Hi Pat, it's certainly got both their imaginations fired up.

Hi David, Nope, Naboo, idyllic world close to the border of the Outer Rim Territories, inhabited by peaceful humans, known as the Naboo. (taken from Star Wars official website, can't do link.)
Hubs watches the Mighty Boosh, I haven't seen it yet.
These nuggets would be fantastic with some spices in.
I'm a bit better, thanks for asking. Still walking like I've done something in my pants but it could be worse!

Hi Tanna, thank you!! x

Hi Margaret, Those Storm Troopers can be crazy. Love to see what they'd do with a decent steak or a bowl full of prawns.

Thank you for your comments.
Amanda x

Anonymous said...

Love them all! This is fantastic! You must be the best mom on the block :) Your kids are waaay lucky :)

The Naboo Nuggets with the cheerios remind me of the Capt Crunch Chicken my cousin used to make...also very good :)

The ginger jam sounds delish!

Aimée said...

You're making jam???? Those pain killers must be messing with your head. Kudos to you for keeping up in the kitchen despite your physical setbacks....

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Joey, thanks, if you could tell me children that when they're teenagers and think I'm the worst mother on the block that would be great. Not heard of Capt Crunch, must check this out.

Hi Aimee, I am completely bonkers! I think it must have been all the drugs (prescription ones!) I thought as I was doing the cheat's version it would be fine. Hid myself away and burst in to tears by the end of it. It does taste good though!

Amanda x

Chibog in Chief said...

he he hehe..my hubby is a huge fan of "star wars" he will definitely love all your star wars food :-)

i love the idea!!maybe i should concoct one star wars recipe too in my kitchen

ps, the naboo nuggets i'm sure is big hit to all kids..and old as well,

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,I am going to try the naboo nuggets. Thanks for these great recipes.
Sara from farmingfriends

Deborah said...

What an interesting ingredient - the cheerios! These sound delicious!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs