Tuesday 5 June 2007

Little Foodies Australia - Vegemite V Marmite

There are all sorts of things to consider when choosing your yeast extract spread. Mainly taste and spreadability. But then there's the decision English or Australian?

Being English we tend to have marmite in the house and although we don't seem to follow the love it, hate it theme, we do like it. We don't have it often, possibly once a month, and when we do, we like it on toast or soft sliced bread (brown or white). I also like it with peanut butter. About as far away as you can get from a peanut butter jelly sandwich. (Sorry Culinary Cowgirl, see link on left as I can't get it to work here.)

Every so often I see a jar of vegemite and I buy it. I can't fathom why as having marmite in the house anyway it tends to sit there, get used once or twice and then goes out of date. It's not that we don't like it, we're just not massive yeast extract eaters, although for the first time I've just noticed on the side of the vegemite jar a recipe for honey and vegemite chicken fillets. Not entirely sure I'd like them but it may just be worth a try - for the experience you know.

For the purpose of this debate, test, debarcle, the following people were included. Me - Age 36, Little - Age 5, Small - Age 2 (Hubby was probably thanking his lucky stars that he was at work and would most undoubtably think it not very important to compare the difference between marmite and vegemite. He'd much prefer to argue about the health benefits of red wine or some other more exciting topic.)

Anyway... Marmite versus Vegemite. The jars are very different. Little preferred the vegemite jar "because its shape is more like a jam jar and I love jam." Small and I preferred the marmite jar, it's squat and cute looking.

Both jars have yellow lids. The logos are not that different to each other both having the colours - red and yellow. Little again preferred the vegemite jar, saying it looked more veg like but the marmite looked meaty (I think it's the picture of a pot on the front??)

On to texture and spreadability. The vegemite is much thicker but so long as you have enough butter on the bread or toast it seems to spread easily enough. Marmite is more runny and so long as it's not very cold spreads easily.

Now for taste. We couldn't decide which we liked best. They're both good. We came to the conclusion that marmite has a more meaty taste and the vegemite is slightly blander (my word). Little just said not so strong. So no debate conclusion really. We could live with either and we could also live without both.

21 comments:

FH said...

Never tried both.I had known about Marmite in England but didn't dare to taste it!:)

Anonymous said...

Acckkkk!! I can't stand either one and Todd is not allowed to kiss me after eating it either! Although to be fair I do like to use a spoonful to flavour my soups! Marmite that is...

Culinary Cowgirl said...

Hmmm...as daring as I am with food, I just can't bring myself to "love" marmite or vegemite. The closest I come is Twiglets (discovered while grazing at a child's birthday party)...but beyond that my tastebuds rebel.

Kelly-Jane said...

Which one is best is something I think about now and then, and then forget before going shopping. I tend to buy Marmite , use a little and it goes out of date as well :)

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Asha,I think they're an acquired taste.

Marie, you're funny! You're obviously a hate marmite person.

Culinary Cowgirl, I can understand that as we don't love it or hate it. Twiglets are good but only a few or I have to drink gallons of water.

Kelly-Jane, Glad we're not the only ones :)

Thank you for your comments.
Amanda x

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog - i like it :-)

Marmite all the way - i eat it every day on toast. half a teaspoon stirred into bolognese or shepherd's pie makes it.

Helene said...

I had both a long time ago but remember liking Marmite for the same reason: a little more oompf than vegemite.

Cynthia said...

My vote is for Marmite! I have not had that in years! Thanks to our colonial past, we in the Caribbean know Marmite so well :)

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Anonymous, Thank you. I think I'm going to have to give it a go in a cooked recipe. I guess it's no different to putting worcestershire sauce in.

Helen, Oompf, that's the exact way to describe it. Thank you for stopping by.

Cynthia, I think I could go years without having it too.

Thank you for your comments.
Amanda

Thistlemoon said...

I have always been intrigued to try either, but I am not wanting to buy a whole bottle, in case I don't like it. So I am still waiting until I see it in someone's cupboard to ask for a taste.

Jann said...

whoa boy~ not a food I am particularly fond of~ I have smelled it, touched it,purchased it for friends back here in the states when I was away,so...I do have some connection with this stuff, but,, frankly.....it just doesn't manage to be anywhere in my pantry.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Jenn, You should try it but I think it has to be mixed with butter on bread, especially for a first try. I can't imagine I'd have liked it, if I'd tried it straight from the jar.

Hi Jann, So I'm thinking you'd fall in the hate it category.

Thank you for your comments.
Amanda

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Growing up in Qatar I went to a British school and remember many of my British friends bringing marmite sandwiches. Once I asked my mum to buy the jar so I could try the stuff - eeeuuwwwww! I never quite understood how anyone could acquire the taste of this spread. Now whenever a British makes fun of the American peanut butter culture I always laugh and ask them about their marmite culture. Vegemite is no better - eeeuuwww!!

Aimée said...

Hi Amanda! Thanks for stopping by my blog. You have a rather spectacular one yourself!
My dad (being British) always had marmite on toast. I liked it too, but then there was always the risk of going from 'interesting family' to 'downright wierdos' in the eyes of my friends.
"You eat WHAT?"

Fillmore Martin Photography said...

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.

That's all I know about vegemite :)

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Meeta, I'm like that about celery.

Hi Aimee, Thank you so much. It's definitely an acquired taste.

Runner Girl DC, I don't think my eldest quite understood that this was a rhyme at first as he re-told it to his little brother. "Mummy bought bread from a big man with lots of muscles and he just gave her a vegemite sandwich. I mean, huh? just a vegemite sandwich and she wanted bread."

Thank you for your comments.
Amanda

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I meant song not rhyme...

Anonymous said...

That's too cute a post. When I was little, I was very curious about this bottle of Marmite in the fridge. So one day I tried it, eewwwlll the smell is not that fantastic but when eat it with rice porridge, it's not that bad at all. :) Have never tried Marmite with toast. Perhaps I can experiment it with my 1 year old. hehehe

Anonymous said...

Try Marmite, Peanut Butter and Cucumber together in a sandwich or on toast - absolutely wonderful! Go easy on the Marmite though....should be a thin spreading.

Anonymous said...

Ahh I love marmite. Have it most mornings on toast for my breakfast. Not tried Vegemite but next time i'm shopping i'll have to pick it up to see the difference. I also love peanut butter and i'm not American ;)

Taylor said...

Is it weird that I don't understand how anyone could NOT like Vegemite/Marmite? It is so salty and savoury and good!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs