Sunday 22 April 2007

Little Foodies Big Bad Minted Lambie Burgers

We decided to get stuck into the burger challenge for Writing at the Kitchen Table's Big Burger Ballyhoo. Check out the following link Writing at the Kitchen Table and click around their other pages (it's a great read - I'll pack up and go home. Forgot! I am home).

On to the burgers. Oh littlefoodies what a treat we are about to eat.... My toddler Small was able to help with most of this apart from the grating and the cooking. Little being that bit older was able to do it all apart from the cooking. He could probably in all honesty even do the cooking but I'm a neurotic mother.

500g organic lamb mince (or any good lamb mince from the butcher)
half a medium onion, finely grated
1 clove garlic crushed and crushed again if necessary
1 egg whisked lightly
handful of fresh mint leaves cut up with scissors (easier for a child than chopping with a knife)
teaspoon of mint sauce from a jar
pinch of salt and a grind or two of pepper

In a large bowl mix all of these ingredients together with your hands until it is very well mixed
Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and roll into balls. (This is for child size burgers / Split into 4 if you want grown up size - Added 6/5/07.)
Flatten each ball with your hand to burger size you like
Cook them for approx 5 minutes on each side (longer for bigger size) or until cooked through
Serve in soft white baps with lettuce, sliced beef tomatoes and thinly sliced onion

(I like mayonnaise & chilli sauce with mine which I think stems from my Northern routes where you spend so much time eating stews and soups that when you have anything remotely dry you have to have something with it. I'll probably be taken outside and shot by my family for saying this- but it's true. Besides it's not a criticism, I crave this food often. I like juice, jus, sauce or gravy with almost everything I eat. I ask everyone else to have gravy first so that I can have all of what's left. I feel very upset when people don't respect this and don't leave enough for me - how spoilt and not a good example to set my children!)

3 comments:

Freya said...

I am excited about all the new recipes to wheel out with the bbq! I know the in-laws will be happy as well.

Thanks for your participation. Good luck in the competition!

-Paul

Anonymous said...

I like sauce too. That could be my upbringing as well. Old fashioned mother who loved to cook stews and soups. Pass the gravy!

knitphomaniac said...

This looks like a delicious recipe - a must try! Thanks very much for sharing, I can't wait to get these started!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs