Thursday 22 January 2009

What's a clucking muppet?

We live in a lane where it's quite unsafe for children to get out of the car, even in the drive because people speed past despite it being a 30 miles per hour speed limit. Anyway, because of this I park my car in a little parking space at the back of the house, accessed via a road. A road where currently there is some major work taking place, already the workmen have upset quite a few people for various reasons. Though it's inconvenient I was mindful that they had a job to do. Until yesterday when I had to reverse my car out and scraped it along some stupid barriers they'd put up.... I didn't say anything and when I checked my car (safely out of sight of workmen of course) and it was okay I thought not much more of it.

Until I came home with Little and Small in the afternoon. I couldn't get anywhere near the back of our house so I had to leave my car miles away (slight exaggeration). We got out and I heard the men arguing "Well you're a f***ing muppet!" In the vain hope that the boys hadn't heard I started talking utter rubbish very loudly. We walked past the workmen, came straight into the house where 4 year old Small looked up and said...

"What's a clucking muppet?" To which I replied, thinking jolly fast on my feet...
"Yes, err, ah, Yes do you remember watching the Muppet Christmas film? Well the muppets used to be a TV programme that was on every week when I was a little girl and I'm sure I remember there being some chickens that clucked all the time. Cluck! Cluck! Clucking!"
"Okay Mama." he said having thankfully lost interest.

It wasn't as if I really lied, I said I was sure I remembered, not that I definitely remembered. Little looked at me and raised his eyebrows, we've already had the discussion about the F word as it was being bandied around the playground... and that's the second time this week he's caught me out. The first time was a tiny lie to the dog trainer who checked Tinks to see if we had the correct ID tag... I wont go there but suffice to say it doesn't look great when I bang on about never ever telling lies and it's much better to take the flak and get into trouble than to lie and be found out later...

8 comments:

FH said...

HeHe!! Nice save!!
Yeah, kids learn fast! I don't let mine swear at home at all (they get a smack! Yeah, they are almost 18 and 14yrs old!!;D) but I know they do it when they are with friends at school sometimes!

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

You're good. Boy, I really detest people who curse around kids...especially when it causes me to have to explain it later.

Marie Rayner said...

Clucking muppets, it works for me! I can't stand vulgar language and it seems to be becoming more and more commonplace these days. More's the pity!

Anonymous said...

l like your page so much..

Cheryl Arkison said...

Wow, you can think fast!
Our problem is that both Hubby and I have the mouths of those construction workers. We have worked so hard to watch it around her. It is almost routine now...

Deborah said...

What a funny story! I would have lied too - you sure did come up with a good one!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh, Clucking that word.
Am I awful. Is that really a lie or simply diversionary tactics. I love that he lost interest.

Katie Zeller said...

When a cousin was about 2 she developed a fascination with trucks, but couldn't quite say it. It was always, in a shout, 'fruck, mama, fruck!'

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs