Monday 19 January 2009

Nigella's damp lemon and almond cake


This cake is from How to be a Domestic Goddess. For once I followed the recipe exactly... The boys and I loved this cake, as did friends. H wasn't so keen as he said it tasted a little of marzipan (he doesn't like marzipan). I think that's probably the almond extract in it. Although it was really good, I have to say I still love and prefer lemon drizzle cake and lemon drizzle cupcakes, because it's just so easy and I can do it without weighing anything (only because I've made so many I can do it by eye)... I also make lemon cake using the old 4,4,4,2 method and add zest and juice of a lemon. May have to make them both at the same time and do a taste test, see which one wins with everybody else.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cake looks so nice and moist...yummy

Sylvie said...

I'll have H.'s second slice if he doesn't want it! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Lemon and almond are a tasty combination. I am a big fan of using almond meal in my cakes, it makes such a difference. It almost adds a nice buttery richness at the end, it's delicious!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Almond & lemon are so classic. I bake a tea cake with them and love it.
I'm sure this is wonderful and looks just a little different. Changing things around seems good to me as long as you can still go back to an old stand-by.

glamah16 said...

Lemon and Almond together sounds delightful.

Cottage Smallholder said...

This looks so scrummy. I love lemon and almonds. But, I'm not keen on Nigella (gasp). We were given one of her books once (not your one) and we gave it away. Nothing appealed. I suspect that it was a bit of a pot boiler published between her better books.

Cynthia said...

Right now I am nibbly, not necessarily hungry. I think that if I had a slice of this cake and a cup of tea it would be the perfect thing to satisfy me.

Karen Baking Soda said...

This is so eerie... I've baked the clementine/almond cake not knowing it was Nigella's, only to see it over at Smitten Kitchen and now here as well. I tweaked it a bit -pff of course-. Much to my surprise the kids loved it! Even my middle "just give it to me plain" boy. I think I need to post! Even so I have only ratty pics?

ChichaJo said...

That looks so tempting! I love baked goods that are described as "damp" :)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I love almond and citrus together. looks very moist, probably from the marzipan! Yummm!

K said...

What is the 4,4,4,2 method?

I love lemon cake, but haven't had a really good one since I was... 17, which makes it more than 10 years ago. (I usually default to chocolate because I like a really lemony lemon cake and I hate being disappointed when I get one that tastes like lemon flavouring, rather than actual lemon.)

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

You know, I keep looking at this recipe in the cookbook and have not made it yet...now I have to :)

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs