Saturday 24 January 2009

Two Left Cheesy Feet and a Heart

No, I'm not talking about my husband... though he does have a heart!

We made cheese straws that look nothing like cheese straws. I remembered something in a Nigella book, I think it was Feast about cheesy feet, hence why I probably did foot shapes, heart shapes because I do love a bit of cheese. Cheesy grins are the best, especially gappy tooth cheesy grins - Little lost another tooth yesterday, in Maths.

These were made using a block of shop bought puff pastry, a little medium cheddar and a lot of Miss Moneypenny, a beautiful smooth hard cheese made by Hunter House Farm, it's a bit like parmesan, possibly better. These were gorgeous, even if I do say so myself and I'm sure it was all down to Miss Moneypenny. You can contact Hunter House Farm, who are in North East England by e-mail simonthearle@btinternet.com to find out where you can buy their cheese and yoghurt. I know they're at a lot of Farmers Markets in the North East.

(Thanks Mum for the lovely NE produce, more of which I'll write about another time. xx)

Anyway to make the cheesy feet/hearts. Take out a block of puff pastry from the fridge about 20 mins before you want to use it. While you wait your 20 minutes grate the cheese you're using (about 3-4 oz). Pre-heat the oven to about 180C with a fan. Sprinkle a clean work surface with flour, put the pastry on top and roll out to about 1/4 cm deep. Sprinkle grated cheese over half of it, fold the uncheesed part over and then roll again until approx 1/4cm deep, again sprinkle cheese on half, fold over and roll again until approx 1/4 cm deep. Cut out shapes, roll up and flatten any scraps (these can be used for tasting if they're any good before you serve to others!). Place on a baking tray and put in the oven for about 10 mins, check after this time to see if they're nicely golden brown, it not continue to cook a minute at a time more. Take out and cool on a rack. When totally cool store in an airtight container. Not sure how long they'd last as they were eaten straight away.

12 comments:

Katiecakes said...

There's a farmers market in Newcastle next Friday, I'll have to pop down and locate some of this cheese :D

You feet look delish ;)

Katie xox

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Love the feet :) They sound fab. And so does that cheese...lucky you!

Deborah said...

These look like so much fun! And that cheese sounds wonderful - too bad I'm no where near you!

Coffee with Cathy said...

Love these! So glad I found your blog -- looking forward to visiting regularly.

David Hall said...

Loving ya cheesy feet! Thanks for letting me know about Hunter's House, going to get in touch with them. Up the Geordies!

Cheers
Dave x

Gemma said...

They look delicious. I have made Nigella's version a few times and they always disappear very quickly.

Maggie said...

Ah - how lovely and cute. Cheesy Feet for the two little foodies to bite into!

Sara said...

hee hee, those are too cute!

Treehouse Chef said...

loved the article! Great photo!

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh your cheesy feet and hearts look delicious Amanda! I'll look for that cheese, and if I can't find it just use parmesan. I wonder what Todd will say when I tell him we're having cheesy feet? lol the mind boggles!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

A person could develop a foot fetish with these ;) So fun!

Elle said...

Cheesy feet and hearts...how fun! That Miss Moneypenny cheese sound delish!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs