Thursday 1 January 2009

A brand new year and a chocolate peanut butter fudge brownie sundae to celebrate!

This is very loosely based on Nigella's chocolate peanut butter fudge sundae. I say loosely because I didn't look up the recipe in the book but went from memory and now I've looked up the recipe and got the link to Nigella's newly refurbished website for you, I realise that what we did was different. Though different it was delicious and uses fewer ingredients for the sauce, but it did have the addition of a brownie. Here's what we did...

What you need...
One large and very lovely trifle bowl. Though I'm pretty sure any old container would do.
Some delicoius chocolate brownies (made another day so there's no pressure). I used this recipe here at the lovely Backseat Gourmet blog.
Chocolate Ice Cream
Vanilla Ice Cream
Hot Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce (recipe below)
Some indoor sparklers

Break the brownies up into mouthful size pieces and throw in the bottom of the bowl.
Using an ice cream scoop, make nice balls of ice cream and add to the bowl.
Pour over the warm chocolate sauce and quickly push the (unlit) sparklers into the ice cream or brownies. Light them at the table infront of everybody and then dig in with long handled sundae spoons. If I was eating this with people who are not my immediate family then I'd probably decant into individual bowls.

If there were a lot of you, you could make many layers of this but there were only 3 of us as Small insisted on going to bed early.

For the chocolate peanut butter fudge sauce, I broke up most (some went missing?) of one bar of Divine fairtrade dark chocolate, placed in a pan over a very low heat with a very heaped dessert spoon of whole earth crunchy peanut butter, added a few splashes of Waitrose extra thick double cream. Kept stirring until it went all gloopy then added 1/4 cup of milk and kept stirring over the low heat until it became silky smooth (with crunchy bits) again.... The whole process takes minutes.

9 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Delightful!

Aimée said...

Awesome! What a cool dessert.

Happy New Year to you and the family, Amanda.

xoxox
-Aimee, Danny, Noah & Mateo

Nora B. said...

Hi Amanda,
Thanks for dropping by the other day :-) yes, I am well, too well I think. Running more is on my 2009 list of things to do better.

Your version is better than Nigella's, I reckon. :-)

I hope that you and your family have a had a fab Xmas and start to 2009. I hope that this year will be a better one for you health-wise.

xx nora

Anonymous said...

Im gonna make one of that soon! Happy New Year, here's wishing happiness and health for all of you in 2009!

Marie Rayner said...

That sounds delicious Amanda! I love the picture as well. Just lovely! Happy New Year Amanda!

Nickki said...

Wow! I do love that peanut butter sauce, but you've taken it to a whole other level! Definitely one to try one day...Happy new year to you and your family x

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely!!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Tanna, thank you!

Hi Aimee, thank you, we love indoor sparklers - they can make the plainest things look cool!

Hi Nora, it was so nice to see your post.

Hi Foodista, Happy New Year to you too.

Hi Marie, I love that picture too - Hubs took it.

Hi Nikki, thank you, I do love Nigella's books and recipes but I'm useless at following recipes and tend to make them up from memory as I go along.

Hi CC, thank you!!

Happy New Year to you all and thank you for your comments.
Amanda x

Deborah said...

What a fun way to celebrate the new year!! I wish you all the best this year!!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs