Thursday 15 January 2009

Cereal Bars your kids will love you for!

Edit: I swapped the cup amounts over for rice pops / oats - sorry - I've changed it to read correctly now.
I had a bag of dried cranberries and macadamia nuts that needed using up so I was looking for the recipe for the white chocolate, cranberry, macademia nut cookies. I was also in the middle of making Nigella's damp lemon and almond cake. In the end I decided not to make the cookies and make something up. I came up with these cereal bars.

White Chocolate, Cranberry, Macadamia Nut Cereal Bars
1 100g bar of white chocolate, broken into pieces
6-8 tablespoons of golden syrup
1oz butter
2 cups of rice pops/rice krispies
1 cup of porridge oats
175-200g mixed macadamia and dried cranberries

In a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water, melt the white chocolate, butter and golden syrup. While that's happening, roughly chop the nuts, if you can pick them out then great but if not just try not to cut the cranberries up too much. Even easier if you can buy the cranberries and macadamias separately. In a large bowl add the oats, rice pops, macadamia nuts and cranberries. Stir the chocolate, butter and syrup mix well then pour over the dry ingredients. Mix well then scrape it out into a lined tray. Press it down firmly with the back of a wooden spoon. Put it in the fridge to set and that's it.

Little tried some last night and asked if he could have some in his lunch, I don't think they're supposed to have chocolate in their lunchboxes but I thought if it's got fruit, nuts and oats in then it can't be that bad - surely?

16 comments:

MsC said...

These look fantastic! I am definitely going to make them for my daughter to take to school-no nuts allowed at her school, but the rest is going to be fantastic!

ames said...

Oh wow, you had me at the name of the recipe! Yumm...

Meeta K. Wolff said...

I think I love you for this Amanda! Looks fantastic!

Marie Rayner said...

Cranberries and macadamia nuts are the perfect combination, especially if you add a little white chocolate into the mix. Your bars look delicious!

Cottage Smallholder said...

Gorgeous, yummy, waist expanding treats! I'm going to make these at the weekend.

Sylvie said...

I don't think it's just kids that will love you for those. They look fantastic!

Katiecakes said...

They look delightful. I think I many have to whip some up as a tasty treat to add to my boyfriends lunch box!

Katie xo

Jules said...

These are a fantastic idea and may borrow the idea for cookery club if that is ok?

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Is there one left for me Amanda?

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi MsC, thank you - nut allergies seem to be a real problem nowadays.

Hi Ames, thank you!!

Hi Meeta, thanks lovely! they were rather good. I've made more since then, raisin and cinnamon, apricot and almond - I'm loving cereal bars!

Hi Marie, thank you - it is a pretty perfect combo.

Hi Fiona, thank you - I'd put more rice pops in!

Hi Sylvie, thank you - my husband seemed to... ;)

Hi Katie, thank you - I'm sure he'd be grateful.

Hi Jules - borrow away, I've made a few more combos which I'll post about soon.

Hi Tanna, I wish you were here to share some.

Thank you all for your lovely comments.
Amanda x

Maggie said...

When my children were growing up they would have loved me forever if I had made this!

KJ said...

Looks great Amanda.

Lesley's Creations said...

Your cereal bars look yummy. And your blog full of little foodies looks delicious!! I will be back to check out more. xx

Aimée said...

Super creative idea, Amanda!

Karen Baking Soda said...

This sounds wonderful Amanda, I'm forever telling myself to make my own cereal bars but it just never happened/happens. I think I will now! I've got all the ingredients except for macademia. Have to find a replacement for them. Thnks!

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Great! Poor Little Man usually ends up eating breakfast in the car on the way to school and I am always looking for 'car friendly' food...this would work.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs