Saturday 30 June 2007

In the bag, cooking the month of June

Did June just fly by?? In the bag, cooking the month of June included the seasonal delights of lamb, broad beans and new season potatoes. Hosted by the very lovely Cherry at Cherry's English Kitchen. Check out Cherry's blog for the final round up.

I completely ran out of time on this one, even though I did buy lamb, potatoes and broad beans. It grieved me to buy broad beans, when, had we been on top of the slugs we could have eaten more of our own.

It's hardly worth writing about. As you can see from the picture, we roasted the lamb and potatoes. I nuked the broad beans. I wouldn't do it again, it turns them wrinkly and sour! I made a gravy by de-glazing the pan (I think that's what you call it) then added honey and teriyaki sauce. So roasted, nuked, boiled, served, ate - delicious!

Broad Bean Shells produce a lot of waste so they're great for adding to the compost bin or wormery.

If I'd had more time I would have done the lamb in a pan with some garlic and rosemary. I'd have had the potatoes smothered in butter and fresh chopped mint and I'd have taken the the second skin off the broad beans to leave the sweeter greener inside as the lighter green outside is a little bitter, especially when you nuke them because you're being lazy! Nuke being to microwave...

One of my favourite meals is Roast Lamb with lots of Gravy and Mint Sauce. Roast Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes and loads of veggies... yummmmmy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi. Broadbeans are best out of their skins, boiled and then smothered in a rich creamy cheese sauce. I can eat this just on its own.

Mxxxxxxx

Kelly-Jane said...

Well done for getting organised! I'm so short of time atm too.

Great pic block. Have never heard of nuke before, - glad I'm in the know now!

KJxx

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Mum, I could eat that on it's own too.

Hi Kelly Jane, I'm definitely not organised. I like to think of it as organised chaos! We've always called microwaving, nuking food... I'm can't remember how it started...

Amanda x

Nora B. said...

Hi Amanda, June certainly flew by! The first time I had roast lamb was actually in England more than a decade ago when my sister's mother-in-law cooked it for us. I thought it was initially strange to have a sweet mint jelly with it (since I've never been eaten it before), but I soon learnt to enjoy it. That was also the period when I discovered my love for yorkshire pudding... yummm!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Nora, Just checked out your pics from holiday - wow!
Yorkshire puddings - Mmmm!
I was never keen on mint jelly until a few years ago. I preferred to have mint (fresh or jar) mixed with vinegar and a tiny pinch of sugar.. That all changed when I found Jules and Sharpies hot mint jelly. It has chilli in and it's superb!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs