Wednesday 20 June 2007

Mid week pasta and using up the leftovers

When I first started blogging I stumbled across Ruth's Once Upon A Feast, she had recently moved and mentioned something called pulled pork which had me intrigued. I asked Ruth what it was and she told me it's from the rear of the pig, you cook it slowly so it becomes meltingly tender. Anyway I've dipped in and out since then.

I have meant to join in with the Presto Pasta Nights as we eat pasta atleast once a week. I know very few families who don't. It's quick, you can rustle up a sauce from very little if you need to and voila you have a family dish that will keep everyone happy and if they're not happy they can always go to bed hungry - like they'd let that happen...

I started to cook enough pasta for everyone and while it cooked I did the following.
Stripped chicken from the last few pieces that were leftover from Sunday.
Started to fry the chicken in a tablespoon of olive oil.
After a few minutes added 2 chopped garlic cloves, half a chopped fresh red chilli, one tin of chopped tomatoes, a handful of leftover black olives. Then added half a pot of leftover double cream. Cooked on high for 5 minutes by which time the pasta was ready. Drained pasta and mixed it all together with the sauce and it was a hey presto pasta night! I added tabasco to mine - I have a real thing for chilli at the moment!

14 comments:

Cynthia said...

Meals with left over stuff that's put together always tastes great. But the thing is, if we set out to get the fresh ingredients specifically to recreate these dishes, they never taste the same :) :(

Anonymous said...

Hi, I always say dishes made from
the leftovers are often the best.
Mxxx

Truffle said...

This combination sounds fantastic and what a great use of leftovers. It looks delicious too!

Pat said...

That sounds lovely!!! I like to cook like that around here. With Hubby and I to cook for we tend to have quite a few leftovers and always looking for new ways to fix them. Thanks!!!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Leftovers rock! It makes me more creative and I enjoy making something totally different then what we had the day before. This is a brilliant way to use up your leftovers Amanda!
Hugs!

Janet said...

Thanks for visiting my blog - just found yours for the first time too. Looks great! Pasta is a staple at our house too, more in the winter than the summer when its not BBQ season. This one looks really tasty.

Kelly-Jane said...

Sounds like a great use for leftover chicken and cream :)

I had forgotten about the pasta events, must remember!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Now that is a true winner. Leftovers should never be seconds!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Cynthia, Mum, Truffle, Pat, Meeta, Janet, Kelly-Jane and Tanna,

Thank you for all of your lovely encouraging comments! I'm just tucking into a large glass of red.. I've had a fun but heavy baking day and I've got another one tomorrow, baking for the School Summer Fair.

Amanda x

Ruth Daniels said...

There is nothing like pasta to make a wonderous meal of leftovers. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. Check back for the roundup tomorrow.

Nora B. said...

Hi Amanda, I enjoy my glass (or two, or...) of vino too, esp while cooking, which can lead to problems sometimes because I become more forgetful :-) I love baking for School Fairs - tiring but satiffying. p/s: tobasco and chilli flakes are my best friends.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Ruth, I just checked the round up, some lovely inspirational dishes.

Hi Nora, They have to be done - the wine and the chilli that is!

Thank you for your comments.
Amanda

Patricia Scarpin said...

I think this was a wonderful way to "clean the fridge", Amanda - your pasta dish is delicious!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Patricia, thank you. I feel all virtuous if I can empty the fridge without having to throw stuff away.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs