Tuesday 15 May 2007

A Taste of Yellow and for the people I love dearly

For those who are not interested in sentimentality or any wish to be brought down, please check out now. For those who know me. I don't have the filter bit in my brain that thinks about whether you should or shouldn't say something. If I think it I say it... It's just how I am...

I just clicked on my daily visit to Barbara's blog at Winos and Foodies and realised that she'd done her roundup for A Taste of Yellow from food bloggers around the globe. Check there for nearly 150 amazing posts on beautiful yellow food.

The tears started to trickle as I read Barbara's story, not least because there is a family connection to the place where she was when she found out she had cancer. By the time I got to the very last entry to see beautiful Susana and Lisa (I've mentioned her before and I'll mention her again) the tears were streaming. What's even more poignant is that their mom and papi want to go to that very same place, for personal reasons of their own. I've also visited there with my husband and my oldest boy when he was just a tiny tot.. (he's still a tiny tot really!)

For Lisa, beautiful, gentle Lisa. You are sorely missed. Free like a butterfly. Hugs to family and especially to Jenny, Lisa's daughter who is now a beautiful grown up girl!

For Susana (lovely, lovely Susana (who runs marathons to raise money for cancer research), because we mustn't forget the living. Be kind to yourself. Lisa would have wanted that. Be happy Sweetheart, you deserve it.

For my best friend who not that long ago was diagnosed with skin cancer - You always say that I cry at everything. Well that as maybe, but I LOVE YOU and thankfully you're okay. As a single mother of three young children, I promise that I will be there to check you! From your scalp to between your toes (actually if you could do the toes thing I'd appreciate it - you know how I am about feet ;) You are an amazing friend, a great mother, and doing it all on your own is so much harder. Always know that I am in awe of just how great you are! By the way did I tell you - I LOVE YOU!

The weird thing.. All of the people mentioned were/are really good at two of the most basic things that we all need - food and love. Simple ingredients really.

Children are precious. People are precious. Life is precious! We sometimes forget that and we need to give each other some slack sometimes because life is hard enough. Celebrate life because time knows no rules. I send big love and positive thoughts to everyone I know today, even to those I don't. Especially to those whose lives have been touched by cancer. To the lady up the road, to my good friend's mum, to Barbara, the list is almost non exhaustive, to everyone, but being a mummy, most of all I just want to say that for my boys - I love you, everything I do is for you, even the embarassing stuff (and Daddy too ofcourse). Always say the things that you want to say because someday it might be too late.

Sorry for all the sentimentality! Laughter is a great healer. I must think of a joke for tomorrow. Back to normal tomorrow eh?!

Edit: I almost forgot my manners. I'm sure along with many other people I would like to say a big Thank you once again to Barbara at WinosandFoodies for her huge effort and work in putting the A Taste of Yellow event together.

6 comments:

Kelly-Jane said...

A heartfelt post :) It's wonderful that Barbara did so well with her event.

KJxx

PS I have a thing about feet as well!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Post! I, too, want to thank Barbara for what she did in putting all this together! My mother is a breast cancer survivor, going on 24 years now. I don't imagine that there are too many families or people that cancer has not touched in some way. Activities like this are good reminders of "There but for the Grace of God go I."

Freya said...

A great post! It was a fantastic round-up and Barbara did a wonderful job of rounding up all us food bloggers, all of whom have been touched by cancer (Pauls brother died of Hodgkins Lymphoma last year, aged 26). You too are fantastic for championing this great cause!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Kelly-Jane, Thank you and yes they're not great are they. :)
Anonymous, Thank you so much, really glad your mum is okay.
Freya, Thank you, I'm so sorry to hear about Paul's brother. Sometimes life is cruel,sometimes it's perfect. I guess if it was perfect all the time it wouldn't mean so much.
Amanda x

Unknown said...

Hi Amanda!

Thank you for your lovely post. I've been so busy I haven't had the time to come in and read as much as I'd like! We all love you very much!!!!

And I owe you a few recipes - will be sending them over in a moment!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Thanks sweetie, got the e-mail. Your man is a great cook, as are you, the chocolate souffles are seriously hot stuff! Lots of happy thoughts! Ax

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs