Sunday 30 September 2007

Another Daring Dough

September '07 Daring Bakers Challenge...

I wonder how many of us will come up with the title... Another Daring Dough?

We loved these Cinnamon Swirls, Cinnamon Buns, Cinnamobunlicious! (one 6 year old suggestion) call them whatever you like. I will make them again and again. Huge thanks to Marce, the Daring Bakers host for this month. It was an excellent choice. Not sure my thighs are going to thank you though!
The dough was easy to put together. The KitchenAid made it even easier of course, and the mechanics didn't seem to struggle as some people said theirs did. I added quite a bit more flour to get the right consistency. I thought it was all going a little too easy... Oiled the bowl and plopped my dough in.

Some people had reported serious rising, a couple of people had reported it taking a long time to rise. After one hour it hadn't moved. So I put the heating on. At one and a half hours it had still hardly moved, so I put the oven on with the door open and sat the bowl on top of a stool infront of the open oven.... My eco friendliness down the pan in an instant! Even the worms in the wormery quivered at this one. But you can't call yourself a Daring Baker and then fail at that stage. The dough had to rise and rise it did... a little bit!

I rolled the dough out in 2 batches, it felt really smooth and it was easy sprinkling the cinnamon sugar over and then rolling the cigar shape. Cut into pieces I then placed them on the baking trays, a mistake, I forgot to line the trays with baking paper so I took the rolls off and lined the trays, put the rolls back on the trays and baked.

I checked them after 20 minutes and thought they were done but when I took them out of the oven the underneath wasn't done so I turned them over and baked for another 6-7 minutes. Took them out turned them back the way they had been originally.

Made the icing and waited until I could drizzle. I drizzled once and we all had a taste. I then drizzled some more and we had another taste. I then did one final drizzle so there wasn't much excess left of the delicious lemony icing that other people also reported.... Yummmski! Delicioso! Fantastico! Mummy - you are the best cook in the World! All things I heard after these wonderful Cinnamon Buns were consumed.

Check out the Daring Bakers blogroll for links to all the other Daring Bakers and see what they made of this month's challenge.

p.s. Don't know about anyone else but I learned from this that cinnamon buns are easy peasy to make and why I've been buying them from the bakery (loving them) for all these years when I could have been making my own is beyond me!!

45 comments:

fanny said...

Wow, your cinamon buns look delicious - big and fluffy.
I might have to whip up anothe rbatch today ;)

xxx

Kelly-Jane said...

Oh Amanda, they look absolutely fabulous! I like all your pictures, but the ones of the buns waiting to go in the oven are so pretty :) Well done.

KJxx

Peabody said...

The look buntastic!
Well done.

Hilda said...

Amanda, they look simply delicious, and I have to thank you because I'm sure I would have totally botched the whole thing without you (you know with the whole yeast and the rising and all that stuff).

KJ said...

Absolutely buntiful. Great job.

Anh said...

Amanda, thanks so much for the advice of ginger and honey! I'll be trying it soon...

Now your buns are soooo good! Love them!

FH said...

I love Cinnamon Buns.Looks great Amanda!:))

slush said...

Perfect! Im seriously considering making another batch after reading all these DB posts!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Amanda, these are wonderful looking buns. I too seem to be craving for some after seeing all these buns again! LOL!

KellytheCulinarian said...

I want one now! These look so delicious and homey.

Cynthia said...

They do look soooo good my friend.

Anonymous said...

I´m so glad you had a good time with the challenge, Amanda! That was exactly what I had in mind. I know all of our hips and thighs are screaming by now, but oh well, that´s the price they have to pay for us being good cooks. I love the results you got and the step by step pics.

Anne said...

I added a bit more flour as well. Your glazing looks beautiful!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh Amanda the things we do to be daring bakers!
Your buns do look wonderfully fantastic. Yes, I love the lemon!

Unknown said...

Look at all those gorgeous buns! So shiny and yummy looking!

kellypea said...

Wow, you really made quite a few of them! Sounds like they were well received, too. They turned out beautifully. I was reading that you "turned them over." Like as in, flipped them over to the other side? Did they flatten out any? Just curious.

Mehgan said...

Awww, you just make it look like so much stinkin' fun!!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Fanny,Kelly-Jane, Peabody, Hilda, KJ, Slush, Meeta, Kelly, Anne, Tanna, Anita and Mehgan,

Thank you very much, they were fun to make and must have been easy as it's in my head to keep making them. Infact, I thought about making another batch today but Choc chip cookies won instead

Anh, I hope you feel better soon.

Hi Asha, thank you. It was my first time and I loved them.

Hi Kellypea, yes, I flipped them over. They didn't seem to flatten but they were virtually cooked when I turned them.

Thanks again for your comments.
Amanda x

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Marce, Thanks again. It was a great challenge! My favourite by far, even of the ones I didn't make.

Hi Cynthia, They were really good.

Thank you for your comments
Amanda x

Anonymous said...

Fantastic job :)

breadchick said...

Amanda, great job on the buns this month!! I just crossed out the name on the top of the recipe and re-named it: Cinnamobunlicious!! Fantastic!!!

Unknown said...

We're going to put bakeries out of business as we show people that it can be done at home! Way to go!

Jenny said...

We should get a Daring Baker's discount membership at all our local health clubs as one of the fringe benefits to the group! Save our thighs!
Your buns look wonderful, golden and puffy with lots of yummy icing!

Nora B. said...

Fantastic buns! Glad to hear that everyone enjoyed every morsel. They are easy to make, yet people always get so impressed when I bring some along to brunch. And you can tweak the recipe in many ways to vary the flavours.

Anonymous said...

Daring indeed, Amanda! I echo everyone else's sentiments. Your cinnamon buns look amazing!

Chris said...

Wow! Stupendous! Looking at everyone's buns is making me all giddy! (okay - that didn't come out right....)

Belinda said...

Amanda, these cinnamon buns look delicious...great photos! I think I will make them again as well. :-) Lots and lots of collective Daring Baker calories consumed over the course of this challenge!

Brilynn said...

Oh my, those are some tasty looking pics!

Anonymous said...

Your rolls look fantastic Amanda! And they glazed so nicely :) Looking back, maybe I should have added that bit of flour more as the dough was a tad too soft...although the buns were great :)

Katie said...

Wow you made lots of buns. They look delicious. I like your title for the blog, not seen any others like it so far.

Pat said...

Hi Amanda, they look really really yummy!!!! If you want them to rise well try the addition of sourdough starter to the mix. Take 1 cup of starter and remove 1/2 cup liquid and 1/2 cup flour from your mix. They really rise then!!!!

Marie Rayner said...

WOW, looking delicious indeed! AND you are so lucky you have a Kitchen Aid mixer. I have one that I get to use all the time at work, but am dreaming one day of owning my very own at home.

Katie Zeller said...

Here I am sipping a cip of coffee with nothing, NOTHING, to go with it. Life is not fair.
Your buns are brilliant!

Truffle said...

I love the step by step photos. It's like an illustrated cook book!

Anonymous said...

These look fantastic.
Brilliant

Anne said...

wonderful post! Your buns turned out perfect :)

Deborah said...

Isn't it so much more fun (and rewarding) to make them from scratch instead of buying them? Yours turned out perfectly!

Karen Baking Soda said...

Can't believe how a dough this "demanding" makes for such lovely buns! You did it! Love the 6-yr old language play..cuddle!

Annemarie said...

The buns do look great, and very indulgently drizzled. If you go without heating for the next week, you can reclaim your eco credentials for leaving the oven open; the worms would be proud.

Aoife said...

I wonder why there was so much trouble with the rise. It doesn't seem to have mattered in the end though -- your cinnamon rolls look great!

Julie said...

They look great, and I like all your words, made-up and otherwise. =)

I have read that quite a few people had trouble mixing the dough in their KitchenAids. I wonder if KitchenAid problems just varied from motor power to motor power.

Jann said...

These are perfect-did you have any helpers to eat them? I do not think I have patience to attempt this sort of project~my hat is off to all of you who got involved. I am impressed!!

Elle said...

How clever to turn the buns over to finish baking, then turn them back. I love your photo montage, too.

Dolores said...

I think they're gorgeous. And I'm with you... making them myself is FAR more satisfying than purchasing them commercially.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Thank you to everybody for your comments.

Amanda x

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs