Monday 17 September 2007

Little Foodie cons mummy into buying expensive fish for lunch

On Saturday morning I collected Little from a club. We then went to visit Great Nanny and do a bit of shopping... First mistake was taking him shopping when we were both hungry. As soon as I saw we were near the fish section of Waitrose I knew my purse was going to be stung big time... "Ooh look Mama, big boxes of sushi, and look at these smoked salmon things, Mmmmm, these prawns look good. What are these shell things?" I thought of resisting and he knew I was thinking of resisting when he said "Well I have to try all these things if I'm going to be a good chef!" As we didn't have anything planned for lunch into the trolley went...

Waitrose Scottish Crescents Smoked Salmon at £4.59
Waitrose Mini Dressed Crab at £4.99
Waitrose Organic King Prawns (cooked and peeled) 2 packets for £5.00

and one rustic loaf that I don't recall the cost of.... He's been saying that he's going to be a chef since he was about three years old. He never falters from this. My only hope is that he changes his mind before he actually starts to work... As much as I really want them both to be able to cook I'm not sure I want for them to be stuck in a kitchen cooking for a living...

I guess I could have said no it's all too expensive but the problem is that when he wants to eat such good food and shows an interest in different foods that most children his age would turn their nose up at I just want to say yes.

It does go to explain though why Hubby and I feel that we sometimes have to be frugal with food in other ways. More of which another day.

12 comments:

FH said...

HeHe!! If I don't check my cart,my son throws in everything he likes!!:D

FH said...

Hahaha!! my son throws everything he likes without asking me if I don't check the cart!!:D

Deborah said...

I was definitely not that adventurous when I was a kid!

Anonymous said...

Gosh that's a lot isn't it - but he has supremely good taste! You should be proud, most kids will only eat fish fingers, and worryingly enough, most parents wouldn't be as adventurous. Smoked salmon - yum! I am envious that you have a Waitrose that close - we'd be bankrupt by now if we did. The nearest is 30-odd miles away - just far enough!

KellytheCulinarian said...

Little certainly knows how to turn the screws. At least you don't have a picky eater on your hands!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Asha, yes, mine are both very good at that.

Hi Deborah, I don't think I was either, though I did love fish, particularly prawns.

Hi Tash, We are really lucky and I am really proud of them, though funnily enough, I also get embarrassed that they're so good about food. Particularly when we're with other children who are not good with food.

I hear you on the Waitrose thing. My mum says they've built one in Hexham now - that's probably your nearest I'm guessing.

Thanks for your comments.
Amanda x

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Kelly, I was answering the other comments when you left yours. It made me laugh!

Cynthia said...

Little man's got you all wrapped up: "Well I have to try all these things if I'm going to be a good chef!"

Marie Rayner said...

The only supermarket near us is a Waitrose and they really do have lovely food, if a bit on the expensive side, but quality does speak for itself. I think that if your son wants to be a chef and that's where his passion lies then there are alot worse ways to make a living. How can he help but be a success if he follows his heart and his dream. Albeit he is young yet and will probably change his mind a trillion times before he is done! I think it's great that your children have such adventurous palates! (even if a bit expensive!)

Pat said...

Oh wow!! He does know what he likes and at a young age. My sons would eat all sorts and even things I wouldn't touch. I am learning to do better now. Some chefs do rather well for themselves and it sounds like Little has a passion for good food.

Kelly-Jane said...

"Well I have to try all these things if I'm going to be a good chef!" I love that, most children reserve that kind of heart-string-tugging for toys! Bless him :)

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Cynthia, doesn't he just, at least it's with food though I might have to reign him in when he starts going for the lobster and caviar.

Hi Marie, If he still wants to be a chef when he's older then we would support him all the way I just think it's a very tough profession unless you're at the top of tree or like yourself, live and work in a very beautiful home.

Hi Kelly-Jane, yes me too! He does crack me up sometimes with the things he comes out with. They both do. You know what it's like with your little one.

Thank you for your comments.
Amanda x

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs