Thursday 15 November 2007

Little Foodies likes to Pay it Forward

I love to stop and think. I was the terribly annoying child who too often asked 'What? Where? When? Why? and Who?' I then spent quiet time digesting the answers. I became the adult who asked 'If? Maybe? Is there another way?' It's possibly because of this and the answers to some of my annoying questions which have disturbed my equilibrium that makes the whole idea of paying it foward fun and smile inducing and possibly soothing too.

Some of you may be asking what tangent I've gone off on today. Ever seen the film/movie Pay it Forward or read the book Pay it Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde? I've seen the film, not read the book but I get it. It seems that bloggers are wanting to pay it foward too, in a lovely fun way and when I saw this on the lovely Quirky Cupcake, I wanted to join in.

Edit: The orginal blog Pay it Forward is as follows... “I will send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment on my blog requesting to join this PIF exchange. I don’t know what that gift will be yet and you may not receive it tomorrow or next week, but you will receive it within 365 days, which is my promise! The only thing you have to do in return is pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog.”

I'm not going to insist that you pay it forward. That's entirely up to you but I will send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment on my blog requesting to join in. (If you want to join in that is) I don't know what the gift will be and I'm with QC on the fact that it may not get to you immediately. I am afterall a Mummy, cook, chauffeur, inn keeper, entertainer (both adult and child), and born SLOTH and this may mean that said homemade gift may take awhile. That said, I may get all creative and it may just take a matter of days. Them's the breaks. The original concept of Pay it Forward was...

'The premise of Pay It Forward is one that any person can implement in his or her own life, at any time. It begins with doing a favour for another person-- without any expectation of being paid back. Indeed one would request that the recipient of that favour do the same for someone else: ideally for three other people. The unconditional favours can be large or small. As the author observes: it doesn't have to be a big thing. It can just seem that way, depending on whom you do it for.'

The above excerpt was taken from the Pay it Foward UK site. Set up by a very inspiring couple who gave up the idea of buying their dream home so they could buy the local community hall which was under threat.

So, if you'd like a homemade gift from the Little Foodies household then do leave a comment. Remember it's the first three people to leave a comment and I have comment moderation on so you wont know immediately. Heck, if I'm feeling all creative there may be more than 3 but no guarantees.

16 comments:

Cottage Smallholder said...

I am so keen to be the first to register for the pay it forward game that I was seduced away from your last post - Little Foodies Natural Cold Remedy - so tantalising that I have to visit again now.

Amanda you are a star!

Nora B. said...

Oh this is such a terrific idea, Amanda! I'm sure that I'm too late though.... (fingers and toes crossed...)

Roz said...

....pick me, pick me (she says jumping up and down while holding her hadn up in the air!)

I hope I make it to the first 3. Yes I've seen the movie and love it, it is very heartwarming (even wrote it down as one of my favourites on my profile).

And Yes I will sign up to 'pay it forward'.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Fiona, Nora and Roz,

Excellent! I'm really looking forward to making some things and know exactly what I'll make for each of you.

Amanda x

Cynthia said...

This is a really great idea!

Scribbit said...

What a nice idea, love it! I love how nice mombloggers are :)

Marie Rayner said...

I@ too late too, but what a wonderful idea. Anyone would be very lucky indeed to get a handcrafted gift from you and the littles! Hope you have a great weekend!

Aimée said...

Great idea, Amanda-I am sure you will make some lovely goodies!

Kelly-Jane said...

A great idea! Hope you have fun making things =)

Jann said...

You are so clever~ and kind....great idea here!

Pat said...

Ohhhhh I loved that movie. I don't think I have ever cried so hard over a film. Brillant idea Amanda.

Pig in the Kitchen said...

The thought of having to make a handmade gift is exciting. The thought of having to go to the post office and post it fills me with horror, so I'm rather glad that the others got there first. Just popped by to say i made your cold remedy after school. It has - alas - not instantly cured my cold, but i'm hoping that the one i make when the kids are in bed, will!
Pigx

Pig in the Kitchen said...

Did i just post that comment? The one i just posted i mean...the cold is affecting my brain.
In case it got lost in my sinuses...I made your cold remedy drink!
Pigx

Pig in the Kitchen said...

I don't think I did post it.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Well I was replying to your comments when an almighty storm hit with lightning that lit up the sky and thunder that I'm sure shook the house! PC had to be turned off until today.

Hi Cynthia, it's a lovely idea. I don't know where it originally started for blogging.

Hi Scribbit, I agree.

Hi Marie, I'm usually late for everything.

Hi Aimee, it will all depend on if I have my creative head on or my all fingers and thumbs head on.

Hi Kelly-Jane, Thank you!

Hi Jann, Thank you!

Hi Pat, it was a great movie.

Hi PigITK, Sorry I had to publish all 3 because they made me giggle and I'm glad I did because they just made me giggle again reading them for the second time!

Thank you all for your comments.
Amanda x

Aunt Kristina said...

It makes me feel so much better about the world when I read things like this; with all of the bad things that get attention in the media, it can be easy to fall into sadness and selfishness. However, we have to remember that we all have to work together to keep our world happy and healthy; it only takes a little effort to help out our neighbor and live by the golden rule and we end up with such benefit! Thank you for making remember that we can all do something small to make others smile--

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs