Sunday 29 March 2009

The Best Yorkshire Puddings I've Ever Made

I was proud as punch when I opened the oven door to see the resplendent hugeness that was 12 yorkshire puddings. I was even prouder when for the first time ever they didn't sink. My mum had driven over 300 miles to eat them, even she was proud. We're all nicely full after lots of roast beef and all the trimmings.

How did I make these great yorkshire puddings? Funnily enough using the American method I think. So do I now call them popovers?

I cup of eggs, 1 cup of plain flour and 1 cup of part water/part milk.
Whisked it all up in a big jug and left it to rest for half an hour on the side.
I cooked them in a large muffin tray, put a tablespoon of oil in each section.
Put the tray in a really hot oven (225C) until the oil was almost smoking, which I've not done before.
Took this out then poured in the pudding mix until just over three quarters full.
Put in the hot oven for 25 mins.

They were done perfectly. Mum thinks the reason mine have always sunk before is that I must have taken them out before they were fully cooked or opened the oven door when they were part cooked.

12 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Hip hip hooray!
I love them as pop overs because that's the way my dad always makes them and what he called them. Love them.
Mom always made the yorkshire pudding with the roast.
Who cares what you call them or it, it's just so good to eat!!

Sylvie said...

You just can't beat a proper roast dinner with all the trimmings. Great puds!

Jules said...

They are magnificent!

KJ said...

Now that's a pud. I love that your Mum was proud. She has taught you well.

Veronica said...

It's the smoking fat. Fat that's not hot enough is the one thing that's guaranteed to ruin Yorkshire puddings!

Although I was born in Yorkshire, I'd never made them before I met my mother-in-law, who makes the best ones I've ever eaten, and now I can make a mean Yorkshire too :)

Mark Dredge said...

That's one good looking yorkshire pudding!! I've been making mine with a mild beer recently replacing part of the milk/water and that adds a great flavour.

Marie Rayner said...

That's the way I have always made my Yorkshire Puddings Amanda. I got my recipe from my ex FIL, a career army cook. It always works out picture perfect! Your puddings look wonderfully crisp and light!

Jamie said...

These are really gorgeous! Congratulations, you should be so proud!

Maggie said...

Those Yorkies look splendid Amanda!

Sara said...

Oh my goodness! That looks amazing! I love a good yorkie (as my Nana called them) and this one looks perfect. Wish mine could look that good.

Sarah said...

It is definately all in the boiling smoking fat!! Dad has always done that and his look like yours!! Also not opening the door to sneak a peak is a good tip!!

ames said...

I wish I could just reach in the screen and munch on it, yum!

While I *love* pudding with beef, us crazy Americans also like to have popovers with jam sometimes...

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs