Wednesday 9 May 2007

Local Food - Norbury Blue

Norbury Blue is just one of the many delicious local foods available to us.

This is what the boys and I had for lunch today. Local Bread and Local Cheese, such a hardship.
Actually the only hardship was not having some local Denbies wine to go with it.

Norbury Blue - a delicate blue veined cheese made by Michaela at Norbury Park Farm in Mickleham, near Dorking. I met Michaela soon after she'd first started producing a few years ago. She was at a local farm shop promoting her new cheese. It has since gained a good reputation and rightly so, it's superb.


We also had some not quite so local cheese, though still from the UK. Y Fenni from Wales, it's a mature cheddar blended with whole grain mustard and ale. It's quite strong and I'm not sure the boys enjoyed it in its natural state (they've enjoyed it melted in sauce before).

7 comments:

Kelly-Jane said...

Mmm, I think we've run out of blue cheese, and I really want some now :)

Truffle said...

oh these looks absolutely delicious! what wonderful taste your boys have!

Dea said...

Your kids sound amazing to be so adventurous with food! You're very lucky to have such products available! YUM!

Anonymous said...

Lovely looking cheeses. I will have to try those ones if I can find them. Looks a delicious lunch! I think your boys are very lucky having a mother who is not afraid to introduce them to such wonderful food. Can you believe that I had never tasted wonderful cheeses such as these before I moved over here 7 years ago!! I know, it's unbelievable! My mother saved all the good cheese for her and my dad and we kids only ever got laughing cow stuff so we didn't really know how good "real" cheese could be!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Kelly-Jane,Truffle,Deborah,Marie
Thank you for your comments. I am really lucky, but they don't love everything, they're just willing to try stuff. I'm sure once they start being influenced by school friends more I might struggle a bit. Hopefully not...
Marie, I think that's what parents did in those days. I was lucky,I was encouraged to have what they were having, fine food or otherwise. I'm just the same with the boys. If it's good enough for me it's good enough for them and vice versa.

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious, and I love Y Fenni - really tasty cheese. Up here in Northumberland we have lots to choose from, especially from a local cheese producer (here), their Chevington is something to be reckoned with! When we travel around, I love to find out about what food is considered local and have some - and so far we've been very lucky!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hello Tash, Yes, it is lovely, I like their nettle cheese too. I often get given a selection of their cheeses along with lots of other northern produce in a food hamper from my mum. Amanda

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs